While I’ve been preparing for a career as an editor my whole life in the sense that reading has always been my favorite pastime, my professional introduction came in college when an English professor recognized my writing abilities and recommended me for a student tutor position in the writing center. I liked the challenge of improving essays and research papers, but I also discovered that I really enjoyed the tutoring process itself—having conversations with students about writing techniques and how they could best convey their ideas. Today I use this editing and coaching combination to help my clients.
You can feel confident hiring me because:
- I have a bachelor’s degree in English from a small liberal arts college.
- I earned a copyediting certificate from UC San Diego Division of Extended Studies when I decided to start my own business.
- I’ve worked in the publishing industry for 18 years.
- I devote a lot of time to continuing my professional development, which takes many forms (attending conferences, taking online classes, watching webinars, reading, being part of several formal and informal online groups for editors).
- I am a member of the Editorial Freelancers Association and ACES: The Society for Editing.